Wilton United AFC Flood Risk Assessment, Cork
Preparation of a site specific flood risk assessment (FRA) for the proposed Wilton United AFC Clubhouse in Co. Cork. The main purpose of this study was to address a further information request from Cork County Council in relation the planning application.
The FRA was carried out in accordance with ‘The Planning System and Flood Risk Management, Guidelines for Planning Authorities’, published in November 2009 by the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government (DoEHLG) and the Office of Public Works (OPW).
The scope of the overall study was as follows:
• Identification and assessment of all possible sources of flooding at the site including fluvial (river) and tidal flood risk
• To assess the risk of a flooding event on the proposed ground water supply by the existing bored site well and provide appropriate mitigation measures to ensure that this well will not be at risk
• Where a flood risk has been identified, to undertake a three stage flood risk assessment as per the FRM Guidelines
• Assessment of potential impact of flooding on the proposed development
• Assessment of how the layout and form of the development can reduce those impacts, including arrangements for safe access and egress
• Assessment of the effectiveness and impacts of any necessary mitigation measures
• Assessment of residual risks to the site after the construction of any necessary measures and the means of managing those risks